QuestionsIf your question relates specifically to Volk Field Combat Readiness Training Center, please see the questions below. If you have a question which is not addressed here, you may find the answer by visiting the Questions page of Air National Guard, or the Questions page of Air Force Link. For general military questions, please refer to the Department of Defense's FAQs page.


Collapse All Expand All
 General Information

How can I contact military personnel?

The Air Force World Wide Locator offered by the Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC) handles official and unofficial requests to locate Air Force Personnel. Official requests are defined as requests received from any government agency and the Department of Defense (DoD). All other requests are considered unofficial in nature.

The Air Force World Wide Locator only has location information on individuals who are currently receiving compensation from the USAF (Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Retired, and Civil Service Personnel). If the individual has separated from the Air Force, no information is available. To obtain or find out more information about the service, you can contact AFPC at:

 550 C Street West Suite 50
 Randolph AFB TX 78150-4752 Phone:
 Commercial (210) 565-2660
 Military to Military DSN 665-2660 Customer Service Hours:
 Monday - Friday (except Federal Holidays)
 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM (Central Standard Time) e-mail:

If you need to contact a military member for emergency purposes, call your local Red Cross chapter, click on "Your local Red Cross" and enter your zip code.

How can I obtain copies of my military records?

Individual military departments, including the Air Force, do not maintain files or records pertaining to individuals no longer on active duty. When an individual is separated from military service (because of retirement, discharge from active duty or death), his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center (Military). The Records Center is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) of the United States Government.

An individual's complete service record is available to the former service member or, if deceased, to his/her next of kin (parents, spouse or children). Limited information (such as dates of service, awards, and training) is available to anyone. Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual's privacy; for example, medical records, Social Security number or present address.

If requesting the records of a relative, a requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs. Files at the Records Center are maintained as historical records only and are not updated to reflect current data on the former service member. The address for the National Personnel Records Center is:

National Personnel Records Center
 9700 Page Blvd
 St. Louis MO 63132
 Phone: 314-801-0800 or 1-866-272-6272 (1-86-NARA-NARA) For individuals compiling family histories, NARA provides assistance to those interested in genealogy. NARA normally charges a nominal fee for research and reproduction costs. Their address is:

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
 8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
 Washington, DC 20408

I have questions about the Air National Guard or the National Guard Bureau. How do I get answers?

I would like to sell a product/service to the Air National Guard?

Under the Federal Acquisition Regulations, any contracting opportunities/projects the National Guard undertakes are solicited via normal contracting procedures, including approval from the Acquisition Planning Board.

To find out about contracting opportunities with the National Guard, log on to the Commerce Business Daily web site. All solicitations on behalf of the Guard can be found on that site.

What are my benefits as a National Guardsman?

For information on the benefits of being an Air Guardsman, visit the Air Reserve Personnel Center web site.

 Joining the Air National Guard

How do I find out what will be expected of me at basic training?

For information on basic military training, visit the U.S. Air Force Basic Training web page.

How do I join the Air National Guard?

The first step in joining the Air National Guard is to talk to a Recruiter. You can do that through the Air National Guard web site or call them at 1-800-ToGoANG (1-800-864-6264). You can also chat with a recruiter live by clicking on the "Chat" button

How do I talk with an Online Recruiting Chat Operator?

The Air National Guard's recruitment web site features Online Chat Operators who can assist you with any questions you may have for ANG. ANG chat operators are available Monday thru Thursday, 11:00am-10:00pm EST and Friday 8:00am-5:00pm EST. Click on "Chat" in the menu options to access.

 Volk Field

Base Exchange availability/hours

Volk Field has a small AAFES BX, dry cleaning, and hair cuts are available at Volk Field base exchange.  Exchange hours are 0900-1500 M-F, closed weekends, but may be extended and/or vary with exercises.  Phone 608-427-1274.

Can I get a military hop from Volk Field?

Volk Field does not have base assigned aircraft, therefore does not arrange military hops. The 128 Air Refueling Wing located in Milwaukee WI has a military hop program. Their flight information number is: 414-944-8504.

Does Volk Field have a Commissary available?

- Volk field itself does not have a commissary, but there is one available (as well as a larger PX) at Fort McCoy in nearby Tomah WI. 

Fort McCoy Commissary: Building 1537. Open Tues.-Sun. 10 a.m.-6 p.m.; Early Bird/Self Check out open Tues.-Sat. 9-10 a.m. Call 608-388-3542/3543.  Fort McCoy Main Exchange: Building 1538. Open Mon.-Sat. 9 a.m.-8 p.m. and Sun. 9 a.m.-7 p.m. ATM located inside. Call 608-269-5574, Ext. 101 or 608-388-4343. Open Wed., Nov. 11, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. 

Does Volk Field have base transportation?

Volk Field does not have public transportation. Military vehicles are provided to military/exercise personnel for official use only. There are rental car, taxi, and limousine services off base in nearby communities, but be aware that these may be very limited after business hours particularly if there have been no pre-arrangements made with those individual companies/businesses.

 Avis 800-557-6689/781-7700
 Enterprise 800-261-7331/374-2012
 National 608-781-5678
 Arnies 608-427-3587
 Classic Limo 800-300-7595/608-356-7595
 Ace Cab Tomah 608-372-2345

Does Volk field have military lodging available?

Volk Field has no space available lodging.   Lodging is for official business/duty only.  There are hotels in nearby communities such as Tomah, Mauston, New Lisbon, etc. You may find the links for local communities, military lodging and campgrounds on the Volk Field Home page and/or Resources page helpful.

I am a civilian pilot - can I fly into Volk field?

Volk field (VOK) is a military airfield. It is used for official military business only, and PPR (prior permission/PPR number) is required. For military/pilots in civilian aircraft, Civil Air Patrol, etc. traveling for official business please refer to the IFR Supplement and contact base operations to obtain a PPR number, and in addition, if civil aircraft obtain, complete, and submit  Forms - DD Form 2400 Civil Aircraft Certificate of Insurance, DD Form 2401 Civil Aircraft Landing Permit, and DD Form 2402 Civil Aircraft Hold Harmless Agreement.

ID Cards?

Volk Field no longer issues ID cards.  ID cards can be obtained from Fort McCoy in nearby Tomah WI - The Fort McCoy Personnel Services Branch can issue ID cards for members of all branches of the service: active, reserve, guard, retirees and dependents. ID cards are issued in Building 2187 from 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please call (608) 388-4563 prior to visiting to verify hours, or the Department of Military Affairs Headquarters located in Madison WI.

Military Aircraft Noise Complaint?

Please phone (608)-427-1445 and be prepared to give your name, address, telephone number, as well as additional details/information such as number and type of aircraft (or description) date, time, location, and additional information as required.

What is the Dining facility/meal availability?

Volk Field dining facility is not available on a daily basis.  Hours of operation are dependent upon unit users and/or exercises.